Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Beamed Up

"I'm dead, Jim."

James "Mr. Scott" Doohan passed away yesterday at age 85, and is going to have his remains launched into space. Note: If I had been an Enterprise crewman, I probably would have been the guy in the background of the picture above. "Oh Hell - What did I do with that spare dilithium crystal? I just had it."

From the first link:

As his health began to fail in recent years, Doohan denied rumours that he had Alzheimer's disease, saying: "If I had Alzheimer's, I think I'd remember."

and something I had not realized:

(Doohan) appeared in five Star Trek films (he devised the Vulcan and Klingon languages for Star Trek: The Motion Picture)

I wonder which of those two languages will be used at his memorial service. And will speakers of Romulan be upset?

Cue Amazing Grace on bagpipes.

Update: 11:28 PM -- Good perspective from the Washington Post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home