Thursday, August 10, 2006

Fact-Checking Note for Future Editions of Long Tail

Memo to Chris Anderson:

I like TLT very much and am recommending it to my friends. However, one thing jumped out at me from page 31:

On March 21, 2000, Jive Records demonstrated that clout by releasing No Strings Attached, the second album by *NSYNC, the latest and greatest of the boy bands. *NSYNC had been developed at an even larger label, BMG, but on the advice of its marketing gurus had switched to the urban-oriented Jive to get more street cred...

If I may nitpick, the problem with that statement is that BMG is not a label. BMG (Bertelsmann Music Group) is a distributor of many labels. At the time, they were one of the Big Five music companies (since the Sony-BMG joint venture it's the Big Four) and distributed both the Jive and RCA labels. According to Amazon, RCA was the label for their first two U.S. albums.

This doesn't mean that I don't like the book... I love it! But, once a proofreader...

(Btw, other suggested corrections to authors here and here.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home