Sunday, November 06, 2005

Blinner, FG v. FCC, NOTL/LOTD, Hirschfeld

This weekend I did some more organizing and cleaning and misc. tasks and stuff. You can actually see the entirety of my bedroom floor now. Mostly. This morning, my ♥GF♥ and I used a coupon I had for what was essentially a 2-for-1 deal at a fancy-schmancy seafood place a couple of towns over that has a champagne brunch every Sunday. OMFG, we ate and ate and ate for like two hours and it was really really good. It is now almost 10 PM and since we left the place at about 1:00, I have had one bowl of ice cream and about ten Cheetos (not in the same bowl) and I'm not really even that hungry. Therefore, I am henceforce referring to that meal as "Blinner."

I thought TOH XVI was pretty good tonight, but what really had me rolling was Family Guy's stand for freedom against the tyranny of the FCC.

Here's a really good essay about NOTLD from Bright Lights. Speaking of which, I watched the commentary for the unrated director's cut of LOTD this weekend, and although I enjoyed it, it didn't clear up the difficulties I mentioned here. They showed some scenes that had been cut from the theatrical release, one of which had some interesting implications. Leguizamo stumbles upon a guy who had just hung himself in the high-rise. The guy's son runs out to cut him down and just then the hangee animates and the son gets bit. How would you handle the unavoidability of death and zombification in a situation like that? I don't mean the part about being sad that your friend/family member died, but I mean people committing suicide, having heart attacks, brain anuerisms, etc. All it would take is one klutzy survivor slipping on a bar of soap and hitting his head on the toilet and the whole enterprise could come tumbling down, even if the city fortress was sealed up tight as a drum.

In other news, here are some galleries of the line drawings of the late great Al Hirschfeld. If you are a Hirschfeld afficianado, let me recommend the documentary The Line King. If you aren't, watch the doc and I bet you'll become one.

1 Comments:

Blogger J.C. Loophole said...

kanecitizen-
Thanks for the kind comment and the plug on your site. I've enjoyed reading your blog. We have some similar tastes in movies, books and music. I usually can only describe it as eclectic.
I also saw last night's eppy of "Family Guy." Stewie's opening a la Police Squad was inspired- especially running over Homer. FG sometimes takes it past where Simpsons have only feared to tread lately.
Thanks again.

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home